Whole Wheat Squash Empanadas
By Uchi on in Recipes, Savory Recipes with No Comments
This empanadas filling is easy and ideal for those who prefer to follow a healthy diet without any kind of meat. It also brings nostalgic memories of prior holidays, mostly for those of us who want to be close to home. It is also a great option for those looking to try adventurous flavors from other countries.
The empanadas are famous throughout Latin America. In the different countries there are various ways to prepare them. Some prefer them fried, while others typically make them dryer. However, we all share the love and passion for them.
The thing about empanadas is that they can become an inexpensive dish for either lunch or dinner. They can always be served on napkins and, therefore, we can avoid the always-hated messy-after-meal kitchen. It can also be an excellent option for an elegant appetizer in any important event. In fact, many high-end weddings in Latin America include empanaditas in the menu.
Another idea is incorporating them as a healthy choice in your kids’ lunch box. You can have them pre-cooked in the freezer and bake them in the morning. They are much tastier if you eat them warm!
Enjoy them at parties and bring to your table the many smells of the authentic Latin American cuisine
6 oz organic whole wheat flour
6 oz cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon all-organic vegetable shortening (non-hydrogenated, Can Be Replaced with vegetable oil)
1 cup water
1 medium butternut squash
1/4 jalapeno pepper
3 garlic cloves
150 grams of mozzarella cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Diced dry jalapeño pepper (to taste)
Procedure for the dough
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Add the flour and salt in a bowl
3. Make a well in the center
4. Stir in the vegetable oil or shortening and some water
5. Knead the dough until the dough becomes uniform
6. Add water slowly the rest
7. Sprinkle flour on the work surface.
8. Make walnut-size balls and let them rest
9. Roll the dough with a rolling pin up to a height of 1/8 inches
10. Cut dough into discs, approximately 3 inches in diameter
Procedure for filling squash
1. Cook the squash in the oven
2. Process the squash through a food mill
3. Chop the onion and jalapeño pepper into small square pieces
4. Mince garlic
5. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Add the chopped onion and the jalapeño pepper.
5. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the pieces are tender and translucent.
6. Add the crushed garlic and cook for another minute
7.Stir with salt, pepper and jalapeño dry freshly ground pepper and adjust the seasoning to taste.
8. Add the chopped mozzarella cheese and squash puree
9. Add a teaspoon of the filling onto each disc
10. Seal around the edges using water
11. Make a decorative repulgue (it will help to keep your filling out of leaking)
12. Brush the top of each empanada with egg.